Avengers in Wonderland: Queen Widow

A lot of people didn’t get to attend the Concept to Creation panel at Phoenix ComiCon which I co-hosted with Maise Design Seamstress and Lunar Lyn. And that’s okay! PCC was really crazy this year, and I know I have some fellow out of state followers who obviously couldn’t attend. I won’t be going into all the details of the costume making process or the wig styling, but if you would like to know about those things, head over to Gabby’s and Karlyn’s pages for details and questions! Any questions about props, head to Dolfworks for more info!

Queen Widow


 

Pre-Production.

*This sentence will be in every post for this series* I will forever and ever and ever say that pre-pro is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of any photoshoot. I’ll make another blog about that at another date because I could go on and on and on. The pre-pro for Lunar was cake. We knew it would be in studio/her house haha, so we needed strobes and a background. We wanted a matte, royal feel for it. I knew all of the magic would be in post. Not exactly how I like to shoot but I’ll make exceptions from time to time.

 

The Shoot

Shoot wise, I set up a background stand with a black sheet. Had an Alien Bee with a PLM on it raised to the ceiling. And off to camera left was a fill with a shoot through umbrella. Her pose was what really made the image come to life in my opinion. She held her posture stick straight and just had that “queen glare” and it really tied everything together. We wanted to have one side lit with the other falling into shadow pretty quickly. It was a rather fast shoot.

*not including a light diagram for this one because I can’t make the key light source look correct so I don’t want to confuse anyone.

Post Production

This was an intensive edit. It just took a really long time to figure out exactly how to color grade the image and change some lighting to focus the viewer more on her face. Adding the rose petals was also a task. There really isn’t a lot to explain in this section. The video will speak for itself.



 

All in all i really do love this edit. I always love editing Lunar’s photos because she always knows how to work in front of the camera. Her facial expression in this has made it one of my favorite images of all time.

If you have questions about anything, feel free to ask!

Avengers in Wonderland: Iron Hatter

A lot of people didn’t get to attend the Concept to Creation panel at Phoenix ComiCon which I co-hosted with Maise Design Seamstress and Lunar Lyn. And that’s okay! PCC was really crazy this year, and I know I have some fellow out of state followers who obviously couldn’t attend. I won’t be going into all the details of the costume making process or the wig styling, but if you would like to know about those things, head over to Gabby’s and Karlyn’s pages for details and questions! Any questions about props, head to Dolfworks for more info!

Iron Hatter

 

Pre-Production.

*This sentence will be in every post for this series* I will forever and ever and ever say that pre-pro is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of any photoshoot. I’ll make another blog about that at another date because I could go on and on and on. The pre-pro for my shot was easy. I found some tea party references and one was lit by candles. After seeing that I knew that’s how I wanted mine lit. And of course with the arc reactor too. That’s pretty much it for pre-pro. It only made sense for my character to be set in a tea party environment.

 

The Shoot

Shoot wise, this was also easy! Knowing I wanted everything to be lit by candle light, I didn’t have a lot to set up. I asked Gabby for a large piece of upholstery fabric for the “wallpaper” in the shot, tacked that on my wall. Set up my craft table and put a brown sheet on it, decorated the table with a couple of Gabby’s tea cups and a bunch of random weird stuff I already had decorating my room. From there, it was just placing my camera on a tripod, having Krista frame and pose me, and adjusting a few settings here and there. The only tricky part was being very still. Since I was shooting with only ambient light from the candles and my arc reactor, we did have to set the shutter speed down pretty low. So no moving!

*I'm not including a light diagram because there was no lights.

 

Post Production

 

Again, post production was more simple than the others. I had to duplicate a candle, since I only had 2 for the shoot. That was probably the most complex part of the edit. I made my red eye a bit larger. Fixed the background a bit, and that’s about it. It was a really simple edit. The magic in this edit lies in the coloring. Which you will see here:

 

That’s pretty much it for this one. Nothing too complicated. Sometimes the simplest sets turn out to be so beautiful!

If you have questions about anything, feel free to ask!